Wednesday, August 11, 2010

That was a BIG ASS NEEDLE!!!

Well, it's over. I can't say that the biopsy was anything I had expected... it went a lot differently from what I had anticipated. It's 10:00 now on Wednesday morning and I should be released to go home within a few hours. I miss Ava so much that I can hardly stand it. This is the longest we've ever been apart.

What started this whole mess you ask? My Dad had kidney failure, which lead to a laundry list of other medical problems. My parents discovered (when we were kids) that my siblings and I inherited some form of kidney disease from our Dad... we just weren't sure of what kind and how severe. Over the years, my sister, brother and I have always monitored it , yet we've never known what was actually wrong with our kidneys. That's where I come in. I saw a few specialists in Chicago and decided that if I'm going to be around for the long haul, that maybe it would be best to get this kidney mystery figured out... for me, and my family.

My (sweet sweet) Mom came up on the train on Monday so she could keep Ava while I was in the hospital. Ken and I came in yesterday morning at 7 and they did the biopsy at 9:00. They had me lay on my stomach, completely awake & without sedation. It was so scary, not knowing what was going on behind me.... and then, all of a sudden hearing the voices of 8 people, when there were only 2 when I laid down. I felt like a patient on the set of Grey's Anatomy.

They numbed my lower back with local anesthesia. Those needles weren't particularly fun but they did a great job of numbing me up. They then had an ultrasound technician scanning the kidney, helping to determine the best site for the biopsy. He then coached & guided my Dr with his HUMONGOUS needle to the appropriate spot for them to extract the kidney tissue. I literally watched on screen as this giant syringe was put through my back, and into my kidney. 3 times. Definitely one of the most wild things I've ever seen. All was fine and normal until about an hour after the procedure... I started experiencing major pain. Turns out, it was internal bleeding.... but I went into a full blown panic attack, body went numb, seeing spots, sweating like a maniac and crying. I seriously thought I was dying and that nobody was going to help me.

They rechecked the site with the ultrasound and determined the internal bleeding was causing all the pain... which up until now, I was only receiving Tylenol. Time for Morphine! After they gave me the heavy duty pain killers, I was pretty comfortable.

When all was said and done, I ended up losing 4 pints of blood. The 4 pints formed a hematoma outside of my kidney, which ended up being larger than my actual kidney.... hence the severe pain.

I spent the night alone in an uncomfortable bed, hearing some guy next door, moan nonstop. I've also refused to eat this "food" so I'm STARVING... and badly in need of my Starbucks.

I am waiting now to be discharged and for Ken to arrive. I will find out the results in a few weeks but am confident that the results will be in our favor and that we'll make the best of whatever the situation. In the meantime, I cannot wait to see Ava.... and eat a meal without mystery meat.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Oh my gosh, Kristi! I just now read this! How scary that must have been! I hope your results will all be fine and you'll be relieved to have some answers. Internal bleeding and a hematoma! Yikes! I know this wasn't posted today, so I am assuming you are feeling better. The house you guys got is gorgeous! Good luck with your move, but most of all your health. I'll be saying some prayers for you. Have a great day with your fam and that sweet little Ava!