Thursday, October 13, 2011

Progress on the Baby Nursery

Arrrrrgh you ready for this?!

Baby Boy is going to have a pirate theme nursery! It started out as a nautical theme--but after too much online shopping searching for design inspiration, I took it a step further to "Baby Boy Bucaneer"!

I should give most of the credit to Pinterest for inspiring me to take on a lot of these projects on my own. Otherwise, I would have done what I normally do: shop until I find the perfect items to complete his room (translation: spending a small fortune).

Well, for his room I have been hard at work-- buying things and making them unique by putting my own little touch on them. Here are a few of the things I've created thus far:

I took Ava's old mobile (PBK Fairy Mobile) and revamped it: I cut off the fairies and instead glued little wooden sea-life themed appliques to the end of the strings.

I think it turned out pretty cute! And best of all-- it's one of a kind!





Little pirate ship I found at Michaels for $3.
... I spray painted it red...
... and used some model paints to finish it. It's not perfect but I think that gives it even more character! ;-)


 These were naked pine shelves that I purchased at Michaels. After some paint and primer they were ready to go!
I put the pegged shelf above his changing dresser. I found the letters for his name at Land of Nod and used twine to string them together. With the fish net behind his name, it looks nautcal-ish, right?! I just can't decide if I like the net/ letters better over his closet. We'll see what I decide... I change my mind 100x a day.

Pine chest that I spray-painted red...
... and glued sea-life-appliques...
... and added some pirate treasure for good measure!


Wall decal for the entry wall
(Did you know I sell wall decals for Uppercase Living????!!!! Yep! Shop away, Matey!)

Baby Boy wanted in on the action... so much for my Ohio State shirt! Looks like it will be my painting shirt from here on out!
So there you have it! I've made a lot more progress and completed even more projects than you can see on this post-- however these are the only items I've photographed. I have a long way to go, but it's definitely taking shape. The final touch will be the canvas that my darling Mom has painted. Here is the pic I emailed her for inspiration:
She finished painting it a day after I sent the pic to her (crazy woman)-- talk about dedication! She has a way with painting, too... I have a feeling her version is going to kick this one's ass! In fact, she says it's one of her favorite works she's ever done (she's keeping it a surprise until her visit for his birth). I cannot wait!! It will be the cherry on top of this pirate sundae!


No comments: