Saturday, October 1, 2011

Is that the best you can do?

What a simple question. I sometimes wonder how many more deals and bargains I could score on a daily basis, just by asking this...? After all, it works 99% of the time, landing me a far better deal than what was originally being offered.

Case in point:
After a lot of thought (and advice from my dear Facebook friends), I decided to book an overnight date-night downtown during the month of January to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We'll be celebrating with an all day, adults only date-- complete with a couples massage, dinner at Epic, theatre tickets to see "Mamma Mia" (sooooo-freaking-fun!), drinkies and an overnight stay at the W Hotel.

And the best part...? No kiddos! Which means, yours truly will get to sleep in and nurse what is sure to be a massive hangover. Halle-luyer!

Anywaaaaaaaaaaay- while I was online, checking out hotel rates, I saw that we could get a King bed at the rate of $169. Just for grins, I thought I would call and see if the rep at the hotel could do any better. Sadly, he offered me a rate of $189. I simply responded (in a very nice way) with, "Yikes. Is that the best you can do?". 

Customer Service Rep: Hmmm, let me see.
Kristi: Thank you so much for your help!
Customer Service Rep: (after a few moments) Well, it looks here like I can offer you the same room for $112.
Kristi: Now we're talkin' Mister!! Where do I sign?!
Customer Service Rep: Ha! Great! I'll be happy to book that for you.

How simple was that?! It just goes to show that it doesn't hurt to ask. I do it at stores sometimes, too... "Is there a coupon out there that I could use towards this purchase?" and sometimes, the associate will take a percentage off.

There's no shame in it! Try it. And if you save any money, feel free to send it my way. I need to buy diapers. :-)


1 comment:

Krista said...

NICE! I agree...and sometimes embarass my husband by doing the same thing at stores or when shopping and often do get a better deal than if we (I) hadn't asked.

Such a great idea and fun celebration to look forward to after #2 arrives! Happy (early) 5 year anniversary. Just think, you've been married longer than you were in college...