Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Meat, Ashes & Drive-by's

Every year I get tricked. Ash Wednesday rolls around and: 


1) I've already eaten meat before my lazy-Catholic-ass has realized what day it is. And... 

2) I'm the jerk that is staring at all of the people with the ashes on their heads, like "Dude- you've got some serious dirt on your head", before remembering the day's significance.    


With Ash Wednesday, brings the beginning of Lent which begs the question: What will I be giving up over the next 40 days?  Now that the day is 1/2 over I feel even guiltier about being such poor excuse for a Catholic. The least I could do is pick something.  


My first thought is to pick something I haven't had yet today: Mexican Food, Wine, Antidepressants. These are all things I haven't indulged in today. Yet. 


Giving up one of those would be a SERIOUS, life-altering sacrifice that I don't think I am prepared for. Yeah, I understand that is what it's about.  Perhaps, I could give up sweets.  Honestly though, I maybe eat sweets once a month-- so that won't do either because it wouldn't be sacrifice enough.  I need something in the middle. Ideas? Beuller? Beuller?  


While I ponder my decision, I would like to make a statement that is completely off topic:  
If you're going to walk behind my car, while I'm in reverse (and ACTIVELY pulling out of a parking spot) putting yourself directly in my blind spot-- and your life in danger, then it is my opinion that you deserve to get hit by my multi-ton SUV. Well, unless you're a child-- then you don't deserve it.  


A guy walked behind my car today while I was backing up and a small part of me wanted to floor it. It made me realize just how much I despise when people do that. It's like they're playing Russian Roulette.  Gee, I wonder if the driver sees me or if I'm about to get steamrolled right now? I guess I'll just take my chances and see what happens! Idiots.  


Perhaps I will give up road rage for Lent.  



1 comment:

~Kristi said...

A guy did that to me today with a stroller and a toddler in tow. Father of the year??? I think we have a winner!