Penne with Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes by Giada de Laurentis (aka The Big Cheese)
A couple things. I rarely change up recipes because I tend to completely screw things up. Today however, I was brave and made a few subs/ additions. And I am happy to say it turned out wonderfully. Here's what I did:
- I boiled the pasta in chicken broth. In fact, I always do boil pasta in chicken broth! Try it sometime with your Mac n' Cheese-- it will change your life. Well, maybe not--but you will definitely taste the difference! Especially with whole wheat pasta which is even more bland. It really does help.
- I subbed edamame for the peas (GREAT source of protein-- which is good considering this dish has no meat).
- I added more tomatoes than what it called for (probably around 2 1/2 cups vs the 2 cups she recommended). Make sure to follow the recipe and "let them burst"... it makes all the difference in the sauce.
- Also make sure to use thin asparagus (like it calls for).
- I also added sliced portabella mushrooms during the cooking process (I had them in the fridge, so I thought "What the hey?!). Turns out, they are wonderful with this dish.
|My finished version of the recipe!|
|Ava had a picnic while watching Toy Story 3 (for the 2nd time today). Based on the smile, I am thinking she also likes the pasta (I removed the asparagus and mushrooms from hers to avoid any necessary Heimlich maneuvers)|